LOW GL CHRISTMAS CAKE This cake was devised for those with blood sugar problems and digestive issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, but it is also great as a delicious, low GL substitute for the real thing, as long as you keep to a small/medium slice, Note that because it has a low sugar and alcohol content, it will not keep for more than a week but can be frozen.
• 170 pitted prunes
• 115g dried apple rings
• 115g dried apricots
• 50ml brandy or tea
• 1 small apple, washed and grated
• Zest and juice of 1 orange
• 1tsp ground ginger
• 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1⁄2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
• 1dsp vanilla essence
• 170g soft butter
• 85g xylitol
• 4 medium eggs
• 85g ground almonds
• 85g rice bran (or wholemeal flour)
• 1tsp gluten free baking powder
1. The day before you make the cake, chop the dried fruit into a bowl and pour over the brandy / tea. Leave overnight (stirring as you are passing / when you can).
2. Line a 20cm deep cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper. Set the oven to 150 C fan assisted or 160 C if not fan assisted/gas mark 2).
3. Cream the butter and xylitol, then stir in the chopped fruit, orange zest and grated apple. Add the vanilla and spices and beat the eggs in, one at a time. Don’t worry if it looks a bit curdled, it will be fine!
4. Stir in the ground almonds, rice bran and baking powder thoroughly. Finally stir in the juice from half the orange to start with, adding more if necessary to make a soft consistency.
5. Pour into the cake tin and level the top. Tie a double thickness of baking paper around the outside with string.
6. Bake for 1 and a half hours – 2 hours until a skewer comes out clean. If the top is getting too dark, put a piece of foil over it. As soon as it is cool enough to touch, put a piece of foil tightly over the top and leave until completely cold - this softens the top of the cake.
7. Remove from the tin and wrap in a double thickness of foil
Feel free to play around with subtitutes for the ingredients I have listed above. I would love to hear your swaps.
To book your free health call with Aine and see how she can help you with your digestion or any other health issues you may have, click FREE mini consultation today.